Thursday, September 22, 2005

Bringing down the house

Shanghaiist: This morning (Sep 20), the arrival of of the police, the blocking off of Huangpi Lu, the leading away of the occupants and the eventual demolition of the lone building. They have a little black dog with white feet, very cute and lovely. He always sits beside them in the days and nights. He was left behind when other resistances were forced away years ago, and adopted by these kind people. Once there was another dog nearly hit by a car and grounded, he kept bringing his food to support it, until someone called police to take the wounded to, reportedly, the zoo to be eaten. I used to stop by and play with him for a while on my way to Corporate Avenue. They also have a cat upstairs, but I never saw it as the cat doesn’t go downstairs to visit the dog. They told me before, that this place would not last for long. I planned to adopt or at least rescue the dog if the day comes and they cannot take him along. And this day came before I actually talk with them about it. Blame me. I went to the site on the night of demolition, hoping I can do anything to help. They were gone, people, the dog, and the building. Only a mess left. According to the constructor there, they brought the dog along with them in the morning. It’s a bit comforting that he didn’t get abandoned again. Bless these kind people. May they find their life some where else.

No comments: